It's 2022, why are schools still segregated?

Brown versus Board of Education was such a big step forward for America… or at least it should have been. According to Beverly Daniel Tatum, “Nearly 75 percent of Black students attend so-called majority-minority schools, and 38 percent attend schools where 10 percent or less of the students are White” (1). Whether it’s intentional or not, schools are still segregated by race and not much is being done to help. If we notice that these minority schools are filled with students in poverty, why haven't we done anything? 

There is a clear connection of race and poverty in America, and I believe this is the main cause of school segregation. The promise for equality and integration is now just a dream. Black children still face “a very high probability of ending up in a school where a majority of her peers are both poor and students of color” (2). Although segregation is a huge problem, sadly, it isn’t the only problem that policy failure is causing; the children being placed in minority schools with unprepared or inexperienced teachers are academically behind causing a performance gap. It is sad how children of color fall under the possibility of less chances and opportunities. According to Emma Garcia, “when black students have the opportunity  to attend schools with lower concentrations of poverty and larger shares of white students they perform better, on average, on standardized tests” (2). Our big question this week was “WHY are schools still segregated?” We understand the underlying problem, but WHY hasn’t anyone done anything? WHY aren’t children in poverty given the same opportunities? WHY does color still matter? These are the questions I have yet to find the answers to. 


(1)https://medium.com/@heinemann/equity-now-realizing-the-promise-of-brown-v-board-of-education-c7e6eab7b6be 

(2)https://www.epi.org/publication/schools-are-still-segregated-and-black-children-are-paying-a-price/ 


Comments

  1. Hi Mallory, it was nice reading your blog. You raise good questions toward the end. Why are schools STILL segregated, why hasn't ANYONE done anything, why aren't children in poverty given the SAME opportunities, why does COLOR still matter? I emphasized the words that meant strongly to me. Because I feel we are in a revolving door, waiting for something to change, yet, we are still going in circles. I agree with segregation not being the only issue. Students are falling behind academically based on the school they are enrolled in. This goes to talk about last week's module, school funding. The schools that are predominantly white students have better educators, better books, and better supplies. Verses the schools that are predominantly black or Hispanic do not have well equipped educators, old books, and not enough supplies for each student. We as future educators need to better help all of our students regardless of color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly right, we are stuck in this stupid revolving door. I keep thinking things have changed or are getting better, but I keep getting disappointed. I also keep saying why hasn't anyone done anything, but I haven't done anything either. I can't sit back and hope for someone else to make the changes.

      Delete
  2. Hey Mallory, I loved how you emphasized your why questions because every single one is how I feel. WHY hasn't anyone done anything to change it? In my social studies for education class we have been focusing on history and how to integrate every students history. In this class we are talking about how there are problems that lie even before the curriculum. I totally agree with your statements about funding as well. I started my schooling at a higher funded elementary school and I had predominantly white classmates. Once I moved to the other school district, my classes were more diverse but it was in a lower-income part of town. The classmates I had from the first school ended up going to prestigious schools while a lot of the students I graduated with ended up going to state schools. Although, my old classmates all had the capabilities to get into any school they wanted, does it have to do with the funding? I think so. As future educators it is important to encourage and support all students regardless of color. It is important to let all students know that they are capable of doing anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I just wish it were easier for everyone to have the same chances. It's so sad that sometimes low-income students don't have a choice on where to go to college because of money, but may have the grades to go.

      Delete

Post a Comment